Friday, October 16, 2009

Meet Whiny McWhinypants

Abby has been sick all... week... long. On Saturday, our pediatrician said she had one infected ear. On Wednesday (after she and I both had about three hours of sleep AND we ran out of Motrin) the doctor said she had TWO infected ears.

What have I learned during this window of illness you ask?

That my middle name is not "patience."

I'm tired of wiping slick noses and squeezing cheeks to force medicine in an unwilling, clenched-jaw mouth... only to have it spewed back at me. I'm tired of staying up late and getting poked in the ribs ever time I doze off. I'm seriously thinking about changing my name to Daddy, since no one wants him when they're sick. (He pointed out to the girl that if she wasn't nice to Mommy and was stuck with him, well frankly, she's in the deep stuff with no paddle). I'm tired of the yogurt vs. ice cream argument and the 50 millionth load of sheets, pillows, towels and blankets. The hyperactivity of a child amped up on both antibiotics AND antihistamines is overwhelming.

But... what are you gonna do? She's sick and she needs her Mommy. So here I am, whining to YOU instead of locking myself in my room with my 30 Rock Season 3 DVD and a box of chocolate chip bunny grahams and letting Daddy (who is also sick) cope on his own.

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for 30 Rock! Hope she feels better soon. Guess this means you won't be not seeing us at the family reunion? Brief and Boxer might make it if the wind dies down. I'll be dying a 1,000 little deaths at Chuck E Cheese with Bloomer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, love 30Rock and have yet to see Series 3. Poor Abby, poor you. I hate looking after sick people, there's a reason I'm not a nurse! But what, as you say, are you going to do? A sick kid needs its Mother. End of story. And ear infections are just awful, so a double one... poor poor Abby, poor poor you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, sorry, I think that might be my fault.

    Didn't I say after your last post to enjoy the quiet?

    Well, did you? While you had the chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erk, sorry to hear of the sickies. Not much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, hi Melinda!

    Wow, that other option of locking yourself in your room sounds like a good one...

    However I'm a big fan of a good whinge.

    Hope Abby (and Daddy!) feels better very soon.

    ReplyDelete